Thursday, July 24, 2008

Heard it on the Radio

Once again, I was listening to sportsradio on my drive home because I have nothing better to do, and once again I heard something so mind bogglingly idiotic that I asked myself how do these people get jobs? I'm not sure which program it was, probably sportsnation with Siebal and Destrade, but I don't want to give credit where it isn't due.

Anyway, the two hosts were talking about which pitcher traded will make the biggest impact on the season and the playoffs. Obviously the discussion was supposed to be centered around Sabathia and Harden, of which CC is obviously more valuable thus far. But no, one of the hosts had a different take:

"This is going to be a surprise, but I think it's going to be Joe Blanton. The Phillies already have a great lineup and a great bullpen and are just one starter away from being a world series contender. I think Blanton is underrated as a pitcher and his statistics are a lot better than they actually are."

That's not word for word except for the last half of the last sentence which I will repeat in bold for those who may have missed it. his statistics are a lot better than they actually are. No that's not a typo or a misremember on my part. The guy did not say he has pitched better than his stats, or his stats are misleading, or that he is better than his stats indicate, no he said his state were a lot better than they actually are. What the hell is that supposed to mean? None of Blanton's numbers this year are good. He's got a 1.42 WHIP and a 4.96 ERA, and strikes out about as many batters per 9 as Harden does in an inning. Blanton was never really all that good either and has always had a ridiculous home road split especially last year when he had a 5.11 ERA on the road and a 2.69 in Oakland. What's going to happen in Citizen Bank? Nothing good, I'll bet.

This was a great trade for Oakland. They traded away an overrated pitcher and got some decent prospects. They will be loaded in a year or two after the trades of Haren, Swisher, Harden, Blanton, and you know it's coming, Street. Add to that the fact that they are pretty good this year, and you have the potential to blow the South Central Angels of Orange County out of the playoff picture for the rest of that horrible Gary Matthews contract.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home